A new purpose
A new purpose
Salvation Army Trading Company Ltd (SATCoL) is a market leader in collecting textiles within the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland for reuse and recycling. We provide the experience of an established business that has the financial stability to ride out difficult market conditions, combined with an excellent track record in recycling. Through our Clothing Collection Scheme and charity shops in particular, we seek to provide easy, convenient ways to divert clothing and other unwanted items from landfill.
Currently, only 1% of what is collected via our Clothing Collection Scheme is sent to landfill. The other 99% is reused or recycled. We continue to work towards zero landfill.
Figures show that for every tonne of textiles reused rather than put into landfill, harmful carbon dioxide emissions are reduced by 3.6 tonnes. In 2011–12 SATCoL exported 34,000 tonnes of textiles for reuse. That is a saving of 122,400 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions.
Our clothing collection scheme has officially been awarded with the following certifications, which demonstrate our commitment to quality services:
ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System
ISO 14001:2004 Environmental Management System
OHSAS 18001:2007 Occupational Health and Safety Management System
Sustainable Clothing Roadmap
We are a key stakeholder in the Sustainable Clothing Roadmap, which is a voluntary clothing industry initiative to improve the environmental and ethical performance of clothing. The aim is to fast track best practice through:
For more information, visit www.wrap.org.uk/business/sustainable_clothing.html
SATCoL is a member of ENoR (European Network on Recycling), which is a collective of companies who share a common goal, a common set of values and work for or, on behalf of, The Salvation Army. ENoR members are market leaders in the business of collecting and reusing donated goods within Europe.
With other members of ENoR, we seek to: